New Guidelines to Respect, Protect, and Fulfill the Needs of Men Who Have Sex with Men (MSM) in HIV Research
amfAR’s MSM Initiative – in partnership with International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI); The John Hopkins University-Center for Public Health and Human Rights (JHU-CPHHR); and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) – is pleased to launch a new guidance document offering practical advice on how to best engage MSM (men who have sex with men) in research trials or promising HIV prevention and treatment interventions. The guidance aims to maximize the benefits to MSM, communities, and researchers, and to minimize negative consequences for those engaging in research.
Entitled “Respect, Protect, Fulfill,” the guidance includes the following information:
- Practical advice on how to best engage MSM activists and leaders in research trials, including HIV vaccines, rectal microbicides, combination prevention, and pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP).
- Tips on how to improve collaboration between researchers and community-based organizations.
- Checklists for both researchers and MSM community organizations to help them understand the nuances of working together, as well as how to work to create partnerships for increased outcomes.
- Five case studies to illustrate the complicated relationship among MSM, human rights, and HIV/AIDS in countries around the world; profiled research projects include successes and challenges of conducting research in South Africa, Kenya, Brazil, Malawi, and Ukraine, each of which has varying degrees of tolerance toward MSM.
- Recommendations for action based on each case study.
Download the guidance document.
Download the guidance document (на русском языке).
Download the guidance document (en español).
Download the guidance document (en français).
See also: A Fundraising Resource for HIV-Related Community-Based Projects Serving MSM
- You can download the fundraising toolkit in English by clicking on the image or here.
- Гид по фандрейзингу на Русском можно загрузить здесь.
- Se puede descargar la herramienta aqui.