FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Bennah Serfaty, amfAR Sr. Director of Communications, (212) 806-1607,
Natalie Marquis, amfAR Media Relations Manager, (212) 806-1694,
FRANCA SOZZANI HONORED AT amfAR’s MILAN FASHION WEEK GALA
$1.25 Million Raised for AIDS Research
Event presented by
Hublot, Mercedes-Benz, and Moët Hennessy
Milan, Italy, September 22, 2013—Juliette Lewis, Karolina Kurkova, Liya Kebede, Bianca Brandolini d’Adda, Goga Ashkenazi, Roberto and Eva Cavalli, Dean and Dan Caten, Teresa Missoni, Barbara Berlusconi, Francesca Eastwood, Jessica Hart, Leigh Lezark, and Fiammetta Cicogna were among those who joined amfAR Chairman Kenneth Cole last night to pay tribute to Vogue Italia Editor-in-Chief Franca Sozzani at amfAR Milano, the Foundation’s fifth annual benefit held in conjunction with Milan Fashion Week. The evening raised $1.25 Million for amfAR’s innovative AIDS research programs.
Kenneth Cole and Liya Kebede both took the stage to acknowledge global fashion industry icon Franca Sozzani for her longstanding commitment to the fight against AIDS. Ms. Sozzani has been a dedicated supporter of amfAR, and she is the driving force behind numerous humanitarian organizations and the “Convivio Milano” event, a sale of exclusive pieces donated by leading designers to benefit the AIDS charity ANLAIDS. Presenting Ms. Sozzani with the Award of Courage, Mr. Cole said that she “cares what we all look like on the outside, but no more than who we are on the inside.” She accepted her award to a spirited standing ovation.
The black tie gala, held at La Permanente, featured a cocktail reception, dinner, and a live auction of artwork and exclusive luxury items. Katy B capped off the gala with a high-energy performance that had the entire crowd on their feet.
Highlights of the evening’s live auction included:
- Bianca Brandolini d’Adda helped to auction off a limited-edition Hublot watch, which sparked a bidding war between Roberto Cavalli and another guest. Ms. Brandolini ran through the crowd displaying the watch to the bidders, and after Hublot agreed on the spot to donate a second watch, the item sold twice for a total of €200,000.
- Juliette Lewis, clad in a Vionnet gown, auctioned off an exclusive package from Vionnet, which included the chance to select a dress from the historic design house’s demi-couture collection, and two front-row seats to their upcoming Paris Fashion Week show.
- Karolina Kurkova presented Andy Warhol’s polaroid portraits of iconic designers Gianni Versace and Giorgio Armani, which sold for €40,000.
- Several works by renowned photographer Terry O’Neill were featured. The contact sheet from his legendary portrait sitting with Faye Dunaway, taken the morning after her Academy Award win, sold for €60,000.
- Moët Hennessy donated a Moët & Chandon Impérial Golden Dust Jeroboam. Fiammetta Cicogna presented the dazzling three-liter bottle of the world’s most-loved champagne.
amfAR Milano was presented by Hublot, Mercedes-Benz, and Moët Hennessy. Westin Palace Milano was the Hotel Partner. Vionnet in conjunction with Le Baron presented the official amfAR Milano after-party at La Permanente, featuring DJ sets by 2 Many DJs and Chelsea Leyland.
Through the years, the Italian fashion community has been exemplary in its support of amfAR, with fashion houses and designers underwriting and leading many of the Foundation’s most successful fundraising efforts. Since amfAR’s first international benefit, held in 1993 during the Cannes Film Festival and hosted by amfAR Founding International Chairman Dame Elizabeth Taylor, the Foundation’s international galas in Milan, New York, Cannes, Venice, Rome, and Dubai have become some of the most high-profile and eagerly anticipated charity events in the world and have helped raise millions for critical AIDS research programs.
amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research is one of the world’s leading nonprofit organizations dedicated to the support of AIDS research, HIV prevention, treatment, education, and the advocacy of sound AIDS-related public policy. Since 1985, amfAR has invested more than $366 million in its programs and has awarded grants to more than 2,000 research teams worldwide. For more information, please visit www.amfAR.org.
Delta Air Lines is the official airline of amfAR.