Request for Proposals:
Mathilde Krim Fellowships in Basic Biomedical Research
Performance Period: October 1, 2014 – September 30, 2016
Letter of Intent Deadline:
Applicant Eligibility and Qualifications
- Hold a research or clinical doctorate completed between three and six years prior to April 17, 2014*
- Be positioned to secure an independent research position no later than March 2017
- Be mentored by an experienced investigator at the same U.S. or international nonprofit research institution who: (a) is qualified to oversee the proposed research; (b) has successfully supervised postdoctoral fellows; and (c) is at the associate professor level or higher.
- Be the main author on significant publications in leading international peer-reviewed journals
- Have made oral and poster presentations at major scientific conferences and meetings
*The three to six year period for applicants who have earned only an M.D. begins with the date they finished their internship.
Submission Requirements and Deadlines
Submission of Krim Fellowship letters of inquiry and applications is now an online process. Interested applicants must take the following steps to request web portal log-in credentials and Letter of Intent (LOI) forms and instructions:
Log-in credentials are not interchangeable. A separate form request must be sent for each potential applicant.
Please be sure to request the forms with adequate time to complete them. Deadline extensions will not be provided.
It is strongly suggested that you request log-in credentials and LOI materials no later than 12:30 PM EDT on May 14, 2014.
The goal of amfAR’s Mathilde Krim Fellowships in Basic Biomedical Research is to:
- Facilitate the exceptional postdoctoral researcher’s transition to a productive and independent long-term career in HIV/AIDS research
- Support two years of postdoctoral basic biomedical research (phase I)
- Provide the possibility of one additional year of research funding during the first year of an independent research position (phase II)
The LOI format for the Krim Fellowships is quite different from LOIs for amfAR’s other research programs. The following attachments will be uploaded to the LOI web portal as part of the submission process:
- Fellow’s Eligibility Details, Publications, Presentations, and Posters
- Fellow’s Biographical Sketch and Mentor’s Biographical Sketch and List of Fellows Supervised
- Resources and Environment Form
- Maximum Funding: $150,000 including maximum 10% indirect costs
- Salary support is allowed for fellow only at a maximum of $100,000 for the two-year period; percent effort on the fellowship project must be at least 85% each year
- The balance of direct costs is available to support research costs, fringe benefits, and employer taxes
- The grantee Institution is required to provide funds or in-kind support to enhance the career development of the fellow (e.g. CFAR development funds; mentoring program; reduced-rate use of core facilities; etc.).
Phase II funding for an additional $50,000 may be approved, at a later date, to support basic biomedical HIV/AIDS research costs during the first 12 months of an independent research position at any US or international nonprofit research institution. Phase II funding must start no later than six months following the end of the phase I period.
Other Important Dates
July 10, 2014 (tentative)
Funding decisions announced:
Late September 2014
LOIs will be reviewed by amfAR staff to verify applicant eligibility. The qualifications of eligible applicants will be assessed by peer review. The best-qualified, eligible applicants will be invited to submit complete applications proposing original research to be conducted during the phase I fellowship period.
The LOI and application processes are highly competitive. Only a limited number of investigators submitting an LOI will be invited to submit an application, and only a limited number of applicants will be awarded funding. Submission of an LOI does not guarantee an invitation to submit a full application. An invitation to submit a full application is not a guarantee of funding.
Future requests for proposals
Click here to sign up for e-mailed Grant Opportunity announcements.
Complete details about this program and funding opportunity, including eligibility requirements, applicant qualifications, and restrictions on the use of funds, are provided in the LOI Instructions, which may be requested as detailed above.