Donate Through a Donor Advised Fund (DAF)
Streamline your giving to amfAR through a donor-advised fund
A donor-advised fund (DAF) is a philanthropic giving vehicle like a charitable savings account. As a donor advisor to the fund, you can make irrevocable contributions of any amount and receive an immediate tax benefit. While these funds legally belong to the organization hosting the DAF, you will direct all charitable disbursements from the fund as well as investment strategies.
amfAR has joined the #HalfmyDAF 2021 Matching-Grant Challenge! To learn more about how to participate and to nominate amfAR, visit halfmydaf.com/for-donors.
Donor-advised funds provide several benefits that direct donations to amfAR may not, including:
- Simplicity – The DAF sponsor handles all record-keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
- Flexibility – Timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision making.
- Tax-efficiency – Contributions are tax-deductible and any investment growth in the DAF is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support multiple charities from one block of stock.
- Family legacy – A DAF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy.
- No start-up costs – There is no cost to establish a donor-advised fund. However, there are often minimum initial charitable contributions to establish the DAF (typically $5,000 or more).
- No transaction fees – Once approved, 100% of your recommended grant goes to amfAR.
- Privacy if desired – Donors may choose to remain anonymous.
While this is one of the most streamlined methods to support amfAR, you should always consult with your financial advisor and/or tax professional before initiating a charitable gift arrangement. The information above should not be construed as tax or financial advice. To make a donation to amfAR, log in to your DAF through the below widget. If your DAF sponsor is not listed, go to their website, and initiate a payment to amfAR using the tax ID: 13-3163817.
If you have any questions or interest in donating through a DAF, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donate via DAFDirect Now