Mathilde Krim Fellowships in Biomedical Research
Request for Proposal
Maximum Funding: $150,000
Performance Period: February 1, 2022 – January 31, 2024
Register for Portal Log-in and Instructions (REQUIRED) – 3:00 PM EDT, October 6, 2021
Letter of Intent Submission – 3:00 PM EDT, October 13, 2021
The goal of amfAR’s Mathilde Krim Fellowships in Biomedical Research is to:
- Facilitate the exceptional postdoctoral researcher’s transition to an independent career in HIV/AIDS research within an academic institution or nonprofit organization
- Support two years of postdoctoral biomedical research (phase I)
- Provide the possibility of one additional year of research funding during the first year of an independent research position (phase II)
Applicant Eligibility and Qualifications
- Hold a research or clinical doctorate completed between three and six years prior to September 8, 2021*
- Be positioned to secure an independent research position no later than July 2024
- Be the first author on significant publications in leading peer-reviewed journals
- Propose a line of research sufficiently distinct from the mentor’s own research that it indicates future independence
- Have made oral and poster presentations at major scientific conferences and meetings
- Be affiliated with a nonprofit research institution anywhere in the world
- Be mentored by an experienced investigator at the same institution who: (a) is qualified to oversee the proposed research; (b) has successfully supervised postdoctoral fellows; and (c) is at the associate professor level or higher.
*The three- to six-year eligibility window starts from the date the most recent doctoral degree was completed. E.g., the window for Ph.D. candidates starts from the date of successful dissertation defense; the window for M.D., Ph.D. candidates starts with the most recent of the internship completion or successful dissertation defense dates.
Submission Requirements and Deadlines
Submissions are now closed
LOIs will be reviewed by amfAR staff to verify applicant eligibility. The qualifications of eligible applicants will be assessed by peer review. The best-qualified eligible applicants will be invited to submit complete applications proposing original research to be conducted during the phase I fellowship period.
The LOI and application selection process are highly competitive. Only a limited number of investigators submitting an LOI will be invited to submit an application, and only a limited number of applicants will be awarded funding. Submission of an LOI does not guarantee an invitation to submit a full application. An invitation to submit a full application is not a guarantee of funding.
- Maximum Funding: $150,000 including maximum 10% indirect costs
- Salary support is allowed for fellow only at a maximum of $100,000 for the two-year period; percent effort on the fellowship project must be at least 85%; additional funds needed to support salary for effort at that level must come from other non-project specific sources available to the institution.
- The balance of direct costs is available to support research costs, fringe benefits, and employer taxes
- The grantee Institution is required to provide funds or in-kind support to enhance the career development of the fellow (CFAR development funds; mentoring program; reduced-rate use of core facilities; etc.). The Institution must provide support for attendance at an NIH grant-writing workshop, or a similar training activity approved in advance by amfAR,
- Phase II funding for an additional $50,000 may be approved, at a later date, to support biomedical HIV/AIDS research costs during the first 12 months of an independent research position at any US or international nonprofit research institution.
- Phase II funding can start any time during the Phase I performance period, or up to six months following the end of the Phase I period.
Other Important Dates
Mid-November 2021 (tentative)
Mid-December 2021 (tentative)
Funding decisions announced:
Please email email@example.com with any questions about this RFP.
Stay informed regarding future requests for proposals
Click here to sign up for e-mailed Grant Opportunity announcements.