Vice President, Director of Research
amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research, is seeking a dynamic and strategic Vice President, Director of Research.
amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research, is one of the world’s leading nonprofit organizations dedicated to the support of AIDS research, HIV prevention, treatment education, and advocacy. Since 1985, amfAR has invested close to more than $635 million in its programs and has awarded more than 3,800 grants to research teams worldwide.
- The Vice President, Research develops, leads, and manages amfAR’s research grants department, analyzes and develops research priorities for amfAR, implements the research goals, and manages day-to-day operations and activities of the research division.
- In close partnership with the Chief Executive Officer and the Program Advisory Committee, has ownership of the strategic vision to enhance amfAR’s research program, refines and shapes the plan, and develops a strategy for implementation.
- Participates as a member of amfAR’s senior management team, manages a budget of approximately $10 million and directs the grants compliance and administration staff.
- Serves as the spokesperson for amfAR’s research agenda.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops a strategic plan to support and promote cutting-edge research and implements the adopted strategic plan
- Designs, implements, participates in, tracks and evaluates research projects
- Maintains solid working relationships with the Chief Executive Officer and with other members of the senior management team to integrate research endeavors with amfAR’s other program, communications, and fundraising divisions.
- Develops a plan to raise the profile and influence of amfAR’s research efforts in collaboration with the CEO, other members of the senior management team, and the Program Advisory Committee.
- Maintains and develops relationships with the Trustees, Program Advisory Committee, Scientific Advisory Committee and Senior Scientific Consultant to develop and fine-tune amfAR’s research efforts.
- Serves as a highly conversant spokesperson for amfAR’s research efforts, keeping abreast of all the issues in a rapidly-changing environment.
- Builds and maintains relationships with other AIDS research funding agencies and researchers and is active and visible in all appropriate local, national and international research arenas.
- Seeks opportunities to collaborate with researchers or other agencies to expand the reach of amfAR’s research program.
- Maintains contact with, makes site visits and provides technical support as necessary, and reports on the progress made by amfAR grantees.
- Represents amfAR at various national meetings and with the media.
- Establishes and manages the annual budget for the research division.
- Develops and manages contracts with outside consultants.
- Supervises, trains and evaluates research division Staff; hires additional staff, as necessary.
A doctoral degree in biomedical science, in the area of HIV or infectious diseases preferred; and demonstrated success in the policy arena: formulation, analysis, advocacy, and research; Demonstrated leadership experience in a health or public health organization with a focus on HIV/AIDS; Knowledge of biomedical science and its funding; Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex scientific issues in lay language; Demonstrated ability to work effectively outside the laboratory with activists, policy makers and the media; At ease dealing with controversial issues; Team-building and collaborative; Well-organized, clear-thinking, strategic and decisive; Flexibility to travel to off-site meetings and work hours in excess of a normal day; A personal commitment to amfAR’s mission and programs.
Outstanding benefits package that encompasses: medical, dental, life, STD, LTD, vision coverage, commuter, dependent care and medical FSA savings, 403B with a very generous employer match. Time off includes: vacation, personal, sick days, and Summer Fridays.
Salary Range: $150,000 to $200,000
Interested applicants should forward their resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Position is in the office in NYC 4 days a week. Relocation assistance is not offered. We are currently on a temporary hybrid work schedule. Prior COVID vaccination plus one booster is required to work at amfAR.
No agencies please.